Member Login

Lost your password?

Registration is closed

Sorry, you are not allowed to register by yourself on this site!

Vodka, I love you! – Part 1

Yes it’s true. Some people appreciate a good Merlot, others a fine aged cognac. Me? I prefer vodka. And I’m not ashamed to say it.

Now people might think. Vodka? Pfft that’s not something you can appreciate. WRONG! There are so many different vodkas on the market and like wines each one works best for different things and each person has their own personal preference. And don’t think that vodka is just for drinking… nonononono. Things I love about vodka:

• You can drink it…DUH!
  • You can cook with it.
  • You can infuse it.
  • It’s great for making tinctures and other homemade remedies
  • You can use it to clean glass.
  • You can make air freshener with it.
  • You can make funky flexible ice packs with it.
  • You can make vanilla extract with it.
  • You can use it as a skin toner.
  • You can make a great mouth wash with it.
  • Great as a footwash for stinky feet.
  • It’s a great goo remover.
  • It’s really good at removing marker and crayon off the wall.
  • It’s a great disinfectant.
  • You can use it to soothe a sore tooth.

So to show you all how awesome vodka is, I’m going to start off with a favourite cocktail of mine. Often known around these parts as “Mummy’s little helper”.

Mummy’s Little Helper – My Vanilla twist on a Classic Dry Martini

Ingredients:

2 x 30 ml Vanilla Vodka

A splash of Dry Vermouth (as little or as much as you like)

Ice

Method

Now I ain’t the stirring type so I want you to be as rough with this as possible. Put your ice in a shaker along with the Vodka and Vermouth and shake away as hard and as long as you can (helps with the frustrations too!). Then strain into a glass (sans garnish) and reminisce about the days prior to children where 5-6 pm at night was happy hour, now it’s what I like to call arsenic hour. When you do everything you can not to feed them “sugar dusted” cookies. I jest. My kids are angels. Ahem.

Anywho. Enjoy the martini and remember just because you are a mother and just because you like vodka doesn’t mean you can’t be sophisticated. No Alcopops. They are forsaken. One of my dreams is to go to a russian vodka bar and sit and sip vodka and eat caviar. And if you aren’t a mother and have no idea what I’m talking about then sit and drink your martini and think how damn lucky you are blessed I must be to have children.

Next week I’ll tell you more about the Vodka’s I’ve tried and my Favourites. I’ll have some more Vodka recipes too. In the meantime tell me… how do you like your Vodka?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

9 Responses to “Vodka, I love you! – Part 1”

1. Lulu says:

Nooooiiice! I only ever had to make 2 martinis in all my years of barwork. Otherwise I was breaking up fights…

Love your list – the first 4 and the last 2 especially. The rest I consider sacrilege.

2. Astrid says:

Gosh, embarrassed, not had a Martini here. Strange considering my hospitality past and my drinking past. Bit of a vodka girl here, just not a connoisseur like you Mrs N.

Hopefully with a bit better cash flow now we can restock our liquor cabinet as I am out.

3. Mrs Neurotic says:

Lulu, yes well you only use cheap vodka for the other parts of the list. Heh.

4. Mrs Neurotic says:

Astrid, we’ll have you sipping martinis like a pro in no time. I plan to post a few more of my fave martini recipes.

5. Nadiah says:

Hey, I probably shouldn’t be telling you this, but did you know that there’s a cost-effective and easy way to turn cheap and nasty vodka into good drinkable stuff? I haven’t tried it yet myself, but apparently if you run a cheap vodka through a charcoal water filter a few times, it comes out tasting indistinguishable from the good stuff. Given the price difference between cheap vodka and drinkable stuff, even after the cost of the filter you make a saving. I’m dying to try it some day, although really, with vodka, … well, let’s just say that I’ve learnt some harsh lessons about my limits with the stuff. More than once.

6. Mrs Neurotic says:

WOW! Really? I wonder if it removes any of the alcohol? Hmmm…. might have to give it a try…

Thanks for the info [rubs hands together]

7. Astrid says:

Sorry to break it, but Mythbusters has dealt with this one:

“Vodka can be turned into high-quality vodka through charcoal filtration.
    BUSTED
    Through a double-blind taste test, the cheap vodka seemed to taste better with every subsequent filtration, although the top-shelf vodka beat them all. However, a chemical analysis showed no actual difference between the filtered and unfiltered cheap vodka.”

8. Mrs Neurotic says:

Ahhh well, but if it tastes better that’s gotta be something ;)

9. Nadiah says:

Oh how disappointing, and here I was thinking I had found a thrifty way to drink more vodka.

How strange that the double-blind taste-test worked, but the chemical analysis didn’t pick up any difference. I wonder if their double-blind didn’t have a large enough sample size. Did they do any statistical testing?